Friday, August 21, 2009

Continent Box: ASIA

The contents of our Asia Continent Box, a work in progress...

Middle Eastern Nesting Dolls. I think these are wonderful. One of my close friends was living in Dubai for a few years & brought this as a gift for my boys. Unfortunately we lost the tiniest doll - a camel! - the day we got it. I'm sure it's under a floorboard somewhere...

The Vietnamese flag, courtesy of my mama.

Assorted money, mainly from Indonesia and Malaysia.

A coin from the United Arab Emirates (am I the only one who feels weird thinking of the Middle East as part of Asia?)

Brass statues from Thailand.

The incense cones I bought recently. They smelt really toxic (!) when I burnt one so we'll just look at them now I think.

I Ching coins.

A goddess postcard, chopsticks & the tie from the traditional white outfit many boys wear in the MIddle East (I need to ask my friend what it's called because I can't remember) - we have the full outfit in the costumes area.

I also have a great set of cards of children from Asia that C from Sunrise Learning Lab very kindly sent me a year (or more!) ago and probably lots of other bits and pieces that I should gather.

BTW, there is a *back to school* giveaway at Sunrise Early Learning. Go enter!


Fb Comments
7 Comments
Disqus
Comments :

7 comments :

  1. Beautiful!! I love it!! super nice things you got there...specially the dolls!! They're AWESOME!!! Thanks for share!!!

    Karen
    www.miescuelitamontessori.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! It really does give you the flavor of the culture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so beautiful! Why arent you homeschooling - you have such a passion and talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a treasure! You've got some very unique finds there. If you need anything from Israel, please let me know. I will be happy to send it to you!
    PS By the way, for us Israelis, the Middle East has been always a part of Europe.. This is because, we consider ourselves as the Europeans, of course..:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YES!!! I am learning a lot about geography as I put these boxes together for my children and I was SURPRISED to see the Middle East as part of Asia. My husband made me feel like I was the only person in this world that did not know that! I feel much better.

    My husband had some Ching coins, I did not know that is what they were called.

    By the way, you take beautiful photographs. You make everything look so beautiful. Those close-up pictures are great. I'm going to try that.
    What kind of camera do you have? I am looking to purchase a new one.

    I can't wait to see your Australia box. I do not have anything from Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I am so jealous. I really need to get going with ours. Wonderful job, thanks for posting. BTW- I made bunting for my daughter's room and it looks so cute, thanks for that inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Amber!

    I was just reading your post and was thinking that I had alot of postcards from various parts of Asia, how about I send you some? That way, you get Singapore stamps along with Asian postcards to add to the box!

    Let me know, you can just pop by my blog and leave a comment!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...