Friday, July 18, 2014

Love In Motion | When Our Kids Get Sick

I first published this post in August last year

And a little after that; we realised that Buster didn't just have a virus, that it was a bit more complicated. We were in the lead up to moving out of our house and going overseas, and B ended up in hospital for five days. To say it was a stressful period is an understatement; he was sick for a full month, and he only left hospital and started getting better mere days before we were due to fly. This week I've been reminded of that period because the same issues have risen their head for him; he's not been well enough to return to school and we've been doing the rounds of doctors and x-rays and ultrasounds again. This time, with extra knowledge, he's already feeling a bit better, and I feel confident that he'll be able to go back to school next week. But it's been a challenge!

And my mind was drawn back to this post. 

I looked for it, and I liked the message... the message of gratitude no matter our circumstances
So I'm sharing it with you again today.


Midnight and 4am hospital visits? Not on our usual schedule.

And not fun. Obviously. 
But, at the same time, there is nothing like mild sickness to bring great gratitude for the health that your children usually enjoy and that you realise you take for granted. 

Today I feel humbled. And grateful.

Grateful to have two strong boys who usually fly through the house full of energy & bounce off the walls and each other. Strong-wills and strong-emotions and strong-bodies. Who challenge my mind and my heart and my sanity (at times ;) but who have the world at their feet and their good health to take them on the journey. 

And I'm grateful for a public medical system where I can take my children to the emergency department in the middle of the night, see a doctor immediately and know that I won't be receiving a huge bill at the end of the visit. 

I'm grateful for my family and friends who have gone out of the way to be there for us at odd hours and with odd requests and who have extended their love.

I feel grateful for my husband and the life we have created together. The family we have built. 

I am lucky. My boys will be okay. They both have a virus, but it's playing out a bit differently for each of them, so they have conflicting issues but hopefully we're through the worst of it.

Being a mama is amazing.heartbreaking.hilarious.hard.beautiful.exhausting and a million other adjectives that my sleep-deprived brain can't come up with right now. It is ever-changing. It is love in motion. 

To all of the mamas and papas and families who are struggling with their children's { or their own } health right now, in both big and small ways, I send you love, strength and compassion. May we all find a moment to stop and feel gratitude for the small blessings, honour ourselves, and then share our love with those who need it. Amber. XO


0 Comments
Disqus
Fb Comments
Comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...