Thursday, April 10, 2014

Peaches Geldof. A mother lost.

I’m sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks again. Tears that have fallen unexpectedly each of the past three days since we heard the terribly sad news that Peaches had died…

I did not know her. 
Of course.

But I know that we would have liked each other.

That I would of loved her. 
Heck, I think I did.

Beautiful, irreverent, smart and passionate. Full of earth-mama love. Her world was obviously her beautiful boys, her man, her animals, her friends. And she shared it with us in a uniquely honest and candid way.

Generous and funny.

I just read that her instagram account has been closed. I haven’t checked. I haven’t wanted to go there. Maybe it’s partly out of respect, but mainly because the pain of thinking of her boys breaks me, and looking at their darling faces - as seen through the eyes of their mama - might just be more than my heart can bare.

Yet, at the same time, I am awed by the beautiful gift that that collection of photos, videos and words is... We won’t know what happened for a while, maybe we’ll never know. Maybe it will unfold over the next weeks. I don’t know. But what I do know is that she left a legacy of pure love and adoration for her sons. A legacy so public and pure and full-hearted. No one that “knew” Peaches will ever forget how much she loved them. 

Ever.

I want good people in the world. She was good people. And I feel blessed that she touched our lives, however fleetingly. I wasn’t someone who particularly followed the lives of the Geldof’s. I think every Australian was moved by the death of Michael Hutchence and then Peaches' own mother Paula Yates; our hearts wished good things for Tiger Lily and her sisters. But Peaches blossomed by herself. And a lot of us who are mourning her loss had fallen in love with her through her twitter and instagram accounts over the past year. Her photos weren't perfect but they were perfectly life-y. True. We sensed she was working on herself, something that we identified with, something that's been on my mind recently too. 

A woman. 
A mother. 
Lost.

Georgia at Documenting Delight wrote earlier today on facebook about #hugsforpeaches; continuing Peaches' mission of promoting connectedness with our children. I am moved by that idea. Our own babies, big and small, can feel our arms wrapped around them tonight. We can share the love we have in our hearts. Shout it from the roof tops. Whisper it softly in their ears. To feel both the sweet simple moments and the hard moments together, with patience and humour. I never want to take these things for granted. Life is so precious and I am humbled.

Thank you Peaches for your gifts. 
And God bless your beautiful boys. x



0 Comments
Disqus
Fb Comments
Comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...