Sunday, July 19, 2009

Natural or Manmade?

I presented both boys with a 'Natural or Manmade' tray.

Hug did it really easily.

But while Lovely did grasp that these (red lentils, leaf, sunflower seeds & something that we picked on one of our walks & put in the fruit bowl! I think it might be a persimmon?) were natural...

... some of the amazing wonders of nature like these crystals and the starfish ended up in the manmade pile.

I was quite surprised but I see it as a wonderful example of the Montessori Method - presenting activities to the child & then being able to observe them and their level of understanding. I managed not to correct him at the time (still hard!) but logged it in my mind so that we will read some more books about rocks and minerals (we have one from the library right now in fact, that Hug chose) and have some more pointed talks about the wonders of nature.


Fb Comments
8 Comments
Disqus
Comments :

8 comments :

  1. Great lesson! I keep putting all your great ideas away for when Logan is old enough. :)

    Val

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! And good for you for not correcting! That is so hard, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea. I'll remember it and show something like that in my class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea for the science shelf. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea! I am also loving your hand and 3-part cards pouch.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There are so many ideas out there that could be investigated in this simple way. Please let me know what other ideas you come up with in your homes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gathering ideas for my little one. I find it difficult to know which activities will be the right ones for her. But it looks like you have some nice ideas I can try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hmmm I am guessing sharon fruit, usually bright orange in colour. though it might be called something different where you are ;)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...