Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Montessori work cycle: Tuesday July 14th

We had a big work cycle today. This is what else we did as well as the activities I've already posted today...
Sounding out 3 -sound words. These cool cards were free from a site in the States (they even posted free to Australia! Love that :) and have been pretty amazing in helping Lovely to get a grasp on breaking down the sounds of simple words. I can't think where they were from, but will add it later.

p - i - g.
He places a glass bead in the circle as he sounds each letter phonetically.

Sorting the lost sock bag! His request. How funny ;)

A thrifted 3-part picture game that he hasn't chosen in a while but really seemed to enjoy.

The finished cards. I love how neatly he put them together on the second mat! I also love this photo because as I was taking it he was showing me how you walk around someone's work mat very carefully. Cute :)

Sorting Number Cards in order. He did really well - especially starting with the 0 - but did mix up the 7 and the 9. I asked him about it but didn't correct him.

Adding counters.

Our first Sandpaper Letter presentation. I must post about my handmade Sandpaper Letters soon. I chose cursive letters which is a little controversial & I'm hoping that it works out ;) Anyway, I was a little underprepared & just gave him one letter & I must say it didn't grab his attention. I must do some more reading & return to this with a stronger presentation - probably a small mix of letters. I think Laura from My Montessori Journey has some good posts about this so I'll have to track them down.

Folding wash-cloths.

Prepositions. Lovely really enjoys this work.

And hammering! He did a rocket and a face from the picture card.

Phew, it almost takes as long to blog these as it does to do them. Craziness! Time for T & I to head off to the Pizza-shack now as a special 'date' with Lovely. Hug is spending the night at his Nanni's so we are spoiling Lovely. Tee-hee! They swap tomorrow. Fun. Good night :)


Fb Comments
4 Comments
Disqus
Comments :

4 comments :

  1. Glad you got the package! As for s. letters, here are the basics: present 3 at a time. Trace the letter, while saying the sound. Invite the child to do so. Repeat with next two letters. Follow with 3 period lesson.

    Now, this is NOT in my album, but I picked it up from other teachers and do it sometimes. Start the lesson with all of the letters (3) turned over. Knock on the back of a letter. Ask, "who is it?" , turn the letter over and begin. Sometimes this makes it seem like more of a game and the child gets into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hammering activity-where did you purchase it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ocean :)

    Sorry it's taken me a while to respond! Thanks for saying hi :)

    I see that Montessori Services has a similar hammering activity set here: http://www.montessoriservices.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4423_111_1409_1684

    I also have a set just like this: http://www.montessoriservices.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1413_2022

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S Thanks for the advice - I've heard about using that knock-knock game & think I'll try it. btw, may I ask, do you use cursive or print SL in your classroom?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...