Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Reader


Long-time readers of my blog might remember the days when I wasn't sure how to get Hug interested in reading. I wrote about it a few times & I'm linking to some of those posts here:

"Mama I can read" 
The Art of Storytelling
The Textual Paradigm & Other Ways of Knowing


Well, time passed (as it does) and something happened...
He became The Reader.


Now, my boy LOVES to read. L-O-V-E-S.

There were days when I wondered if it would ever happen & now there are days when I have to stop him reading ;)

And it's amazing how often we are stopped in cafe's and stores (yes, he'll follow me out of the car and into stores with his nose still buried deep into a book) by people telling us how refreshing it is to see kids reading.


So, what happened? 

It's hard to put my finger on it. But, I really think it was about TIME. It just took him time to want to read. And then, the next part of the magic was, I believe, EXPOSURE. He has always been surrounded by books and by people reading. Books are important here. 

He always has enjoyed books but for a very long time he was happy to experience them visually.

Now, he knows there's something hidden in the jumble of letters too. A million things. A million worlds. A million ideas. He's hooked. And it's a beautiful thing to watch.


Do your kids like reading? Did it take time for them too or did it come easily?
A. x



0 Comments
Disqus
Fb Comments
Comments :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...